Culgaith Parish

 

© gca-webdesign

AddMe - Search Engine Optimization

culagith memorial

Places of Worship

There are Church of England Churches in the Cross Fell Group Benefice at Addingham, Culgaith, Edenhall, Kirkland, Langwathby, Melmerby, Ousby and Skirwith.

Contact Details:

See Memo

More information about the Cross Fell Group can apparently be found at their website but it is not available at present the times of services for all the churches in the group can be found in Memo

All Saints, Culgaith was originally a Chapel of Ease to the church at Kirkland and was rebuilt in 1756. The first baptisms and burials were recorded in the new building in 1758 and the villagers were also able to get married there until 1802. From 1802 until 1880 all marriages were solemnised at Kirkland before returning to Culgaith.
Services: See noticeboard outside church.

St Lawrence, Kirkland was originally the mother church containing the townships of Skirwith and Blencarn and the chapelry of Culgaith. The church was rebuilt in 1768 and again in 1880. To commemorate the Millenium the Parish Council and Eden District Council jointly commissioned a painting of the east Fellside from Blencarn artist Alan Stones which now hangs in the church.
Services are usually on the 2nd Sunday of the month at 10 am.

St John the Evangelist, Skirwith was built in 1856 and is known as the 'Little Cathedral in the Fells'. It was built by the Parker family for their son who became vicar there. The building is now in need of major repairs.
Services are generally held there once a month.

Roman Catholic services are held in Penrith

Times of all the services are to be found in Memo

All Saints church Culgaith
Culgaith Methodist chapel
St John the Evangelist Skirwith
St Lawrence Kirkland