Culgaith Parish Council serves the villages of Blencarn, Culgaith, Skirwith, and the hamlet of Kirkland. The Parish Council gives views on planning applications and other community initiatives, awards grants to local communities and manages 5 village greens totalling 14 acres.
It is part of the third tier of local government, after Cumbria County Council and Eden District Council. Information on the services provided by Cumbria County Council can be found at www.Cumbria.gov.uk/ and on those provided by Eden District Council at www.eden.gov.uk/
Tel 07768 468 634 email@example.com
The Council meets every two months at 7.30 pm and the meetings rotate amongst the village halls in the three main villages:
- Monday 3rd September 2018 – Blencarn
- Monday 5th November 2018 - Culgaith
- Monday 7th January 2019 – Skirwith
- Monday 4th March 2019 – Blencarn
- Monday 13th May 2019 – Culgaith
- (Annual Parish Meeting/AGM/May meeting This meeting will be followed by the AGM and May Council Meeting.
Agendas are posted on the village notice boards and all members of the public are welcome to attend. At each meeting members of the public are invited to raise issues of concern.
Blencarn and Kirkland Ward
The parish is divided into three electoral wards
Your Parish Councillors are:
Culgaith Parish Councillors ‘Register of Interests’ can be seen by following this link
What do Parish Councils do?
Parish Councils operate with the aim of improving the quality of life and the local environment for all residents. They are elected every four years from people living in, or just outside the Parish, or having business interests there. They are required under the Local Government Act 1972 and other statutes to perform certain duties and have powers which they can exercise at their discretion.
In general a Parish Council will:
The Quality Parish Scheme was launched by the Government in 2003 with the aim of providing a benchmark minimum standard for parish councils across the country. To become accredited a Parish Council must meet 10 different criteria. In 2008 Culgaith Parish Council agreed to work towards meeting these criteria with the aim of seeking Quality Parish Status after the next election in 2011.
More information about Parish Councils can be found on the Cumbria Association of Local Councils website at www.calc.org.uk
- give views, on behalf of the community, on planning applications and other proposals that affect the parish
- decide where money should be raised and spent for the benefit of the community
- undertake projects and schemes that benefit local residents
- work in partnership with other bodies to achieve benefits for the parish
- alert relevant authorities to problems that arise or work that needs to be undertaken
- help the other tiers of local government keep in touch with their local communities.
Below you will find various Council documents that you can download. They are all in pdf format
Click the iconto obtain latest Adobe reader if required. (to read pdf files)
Data Protection -
Data Protection Policy May 2018
GDPR Privacy Notice_public May 2018 Web
GDPR Privacy Notice_staff & councillors May 2018 Web
Audit documents -
CPC Public Notice View Accounts
Annual Governance Statement
Certificate of Exemption
Explanation of Variances
Internal Audit Report
Special Documents -
Map of Parish Council boundary
Skirwith Conservation Area Review Leaflet
HOW TO OBJECT to a planning application
Grants Policy 2016
Dog Control Leaflet
land and Asset Register 2017
Bank Reconcilliation 31 March 2016 Complete
Expenditure exceeding £100 for 2015 16
Internal Audited Receipts, Payments and Capital Reconcilliation 2016 - 2017
Signed Internal Audit Report
Notice of Electors rights - Accounts yr end 2016
Annual Governance Statement 2015-16.pdf
Policy Statements -